High School Ensemble
Perform Shakespeare while backpacking off the Appalachian Trail in this four week summer camp! Get expert training in acting, speaking Shakespeare, and stage combat, and take the show on the road, all in majesty of the great outdoors.
For current 8th – 12th graders
- Camp Session 1: June 24 – July 19
- Camp Session 2: July 22 – August 16
In the last week of your session, you’ll load up a purple bus with your props, set, costumes, and staff, and taking off for a wild three-day tour to Shenandoah National Park, where you’ll perform at the Skyland Amphitheater, camp out, and enjoy a day hike to go swimming by a waterfall. All this before returning for a final performance festival for family and friends!
- Monday: Normal Camp Day (Dress Rehearsals!)
- Tuesday: Opening Performance! Campers ride the bus home just like normal.
- Wednesday: First Day of Tour! Load the bus and head to Shenandoah.
- Thursday: Full day at Shenandoah, hiking, camping, and performing.
- Friday: Final Festival – Campers return to camp and get ready for their last show. The camp session ends with a big three-play festival in the afternoon/early evening. Afterwards, campers are invited to share s’mores at a last campfire before going home with their parents.
Check out the trailer for our 2013 production of Much Ado About Nothing!
This summer, the High School Ensemble will perform Shakespeare’s merry war of wit, Much Ado About Nothing. A cast of high-minded nobles, bumbling watchmen, and nefarious villains makes life hard for the sharp-tongued lovers, who exchange insults rather than kisses until tricked into confessing their true feelings.
Traveling Players summer camps and classes always offer expert training in acting, character creation, physical comedy, stage combat, improvisation, and text analysis. A typical day at camp isn’t just about rehearsal! Our talented faculty teach daily classes in subjects that help round out the campers as actors and as students.
We also value the spirit of the ensemble. Our ensemble- and team-building adventures create a strong, supportive cast and friendships that will last a lifetime. We teach leave no trace camping, go on ropes courses, and camp out every Thursday night.
- 4 weeks, 4 campouts, 4 performances
- Group size limited to 13 (4:1 student-faculty ratio)
- Expert Instructors
- Daily Acting Classes
- Bus Transportation Included
- Campouts every Thursday
- Tuition: $2,550 ($2450 Early Bird Special flies away Feb. 11 at midnight)
You could get up to 6 community service hours for the performances that we donate to underserved audiences. Traveling Players is a registered nonprofit. IB Theatre students can claim hours for creativity, activity and service.
Traveling Players Ensemble has become such a fundamental institution in my life. The camp…touched my life beyond the limits of simply performance to benefit me in my academic [and my] literary abilities.
Scholarship Camper, 2006 – 2009